So winter has fallen upon us now and all your outdoor projects will have to be placed on hold for another 6 months, now is the time to tackle indoor repairs and/or upgrades to your home. You may find yourself thinking that you can save on some of the costs by doing those projects yourself. First of all, asses the scope of the project and inform yourself, how knowledgeable and skilled are you for that project? Do you have the proper tools? Most of all, do you have the time to complete the project, leaving projects unfinished may lead you to frustration and more out of pocket costs down the road. Here are some most common projects most homeowners are faced with, whether to DIY or call us.
1. Walls–DIY: If you are looking to brighten up existing walls with a new coat of paint, make sure you have the basics, ladder, brushes, rolls, painters tape, drop cloths, etc. Don’t forget to spackle any holes and/or chips prior to painting. GOOD PREP is key to a successful DIY paint job. When to call GEM— If your drywall is extensively damaged, or needs to be replaced., if your framing and molding is damaged, or if you just don’t have the time to prep, paint and clean up, we can help.
2. Floors–DIY: The average homeowner can glue down vinyl flooring and for wood flooring, a brown crayon can easily fill scratches, both are a quick easy fix. Flooring can be tricky and messy dependent on the type being repaired, replaced or installed. Call GEM for installing hardwood flooring and ceramic flooring repairs, those require special cutting tools and masonry supplies.
3. Masonry–DIY: Not many homeowners are skilled at this, unless you do it for a living, it is easy busting out brick and stone- but mixing mortar and aligning material is not for the “weekend warrior, do it yourself-ers”, as it requires time, skill, and muscle, to properly administer masonry material. Calling GEM will be the easiest and safest way to accomplish your vision to remodel your stone pathway or garden partitions.
4. Electrical Upgrades—DIY: Another subject suited for GEM, for safety reasons, homeowners should not attempt rewiring, adding outlets, or installing large heavy fixtures-unless, it is their profession. We strongly suggest, just giving GEM a call.
5. Plumbing–DIY: Always turn water supply off prior to any plumbing project. Most homeowners can unclog a toilet, replace a flapper or a leaky faucet. We can deal with the simple plumbing projects you do not want to deal with, on top of replacing toilets, faucets and shower heads. Call GEM.
6. Tile–DIY: Not much DIY here, most can clean or replace old grout and maybe replacing a cracked tile or two. Even adding a backsplash is simple. But if you want to replace or upgrade your tiled area, that requires cutting tile, accurate alignment and spacing of tiles, and usually requires a significant time commitment for novices. If you want to achieve that professional look, give GEM a call.
7. Countertops–DIY: Dependent on the type of countertop, DIY here is limited to caulking, cleaning, gluing, and sealing existing tops. Minimum 2 man crew is needed for this type of DIY. GEM has the manpower and skill to properly install, replace and repair all types of countertops, if you decide not to tackle it yourself. Do not risk damage and improper measurements that can lead to higher cost and extended remodel time.
If you would like to get a quote or consultation with GEM, you can request on HERE